Wednesday 8 April 2015

Cosplayer of the Week: Amishanda


We were introduced to this friendly and talented cosplayer at last years Toronto Comic Con when she was wearing her amazing Tauriel cosplay. Amishanda is a cosplayer who inspires us, she is always hard at work crafting new costumes or reworking old ones to make them (somehow!) even better.  Even more impressive is her ability to bring so many characters from so many different mediums come to life through her cosplays-anime, video games & film, she's can portray anyone from anything and look wonderful while doing it.




1. What got you into cosplay?

 My friend told me about Anime North back in high school. She was part of a Sailor Moon cosplay group and I was like “… wait you aredressing up as SAILOR SCOUTS?!?!” Needless to say, I was sold on the whole idea. She was proud to “corrupt” another innocent soul… lol!




2. What was your first cosplay?

Sailor Jupiter! I made it for Anime North 2008 and my mom helped me out a lot on this one. I learned so much! We used my grandma’s old sewing machine and I remember searching for so long for a pattern to use, only to fail miserably. Instead I found tutorials that are unfortunately long lost in the depths of the internet and based my own patterns around what I saw online. It was quite the adventure!



3. How long have you been cosplaying?

 Almost 7 years. My first convention was Anime North in 2008.




4. What is your favourite part of putting on your cosplay?

I think it has to be seeing a complete costume all together for the first time. It’s awesome to see the final result of all of my hard work! I try my best to do as many ‘costests’ as I can before a convention but that’s not always possible. My Adiane costume from Anime North 2014 definitely falls into this category.  There was so much going on with this costume between the leg and neck tattoos… her corset… her long wig… her scorpion tail… it was just way too much for me to try on all at once before the actual convention. I was so happy to see it all together finally since it was such a labour of (mostly) love for months before the con.




5. What’s the best part of cosplay for you?

I love going to conventions!  I love meeting new people who share the same interests as me! It’s such a great feeling to find someone who is into the same wacky stuff that I am, and the conversation usually starts because one of us is in a costume from a series we both happen to love. I am so lucky to have met some of my best friends through cosplay. They mean the world to me and cosplay is what initially brought us all together. <3


6. What is your favourite cosplay? (personal collection)

This question is so hard! Can there be a tie? lol I honestly can’t decide between Mad Moxxi and Tauriel. They are both such fun costumes to wear and I have poured a ridiculous amount of my heart and soul into both of them. I spent almost 6 months working on Mad Moxxi making it as accurate as I could and I’m very pleased with how it all turned out. It was my baby for so long.

Tauriel on the other hand was a faster project last year but I have some amazing memories associated with the costume. I met Billy Boyd (played Pippin in LotR) in that costume, and attended the third Hobbit movie advanced screening in Toronto as Tauriel. Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, and Lee Pace were special guests and I absolutely went full-on fangirl being in the same room as them. I’m always trying to improve my Tauriel costume and probably won’t stop until I get it as close as possible to the official outfit! 




7. Do you have a current cosplay or cosplayer favourite, someone that has inspired you? (Other people’s collections)

Yes absolutely! I’m inspired by so many cosplayers but recently I have become a really huge fan of Bindi Smalls. I found her through her Mad Moxxi cosplay a couple years ago at Katsucon and continued to follow her work ever since. She also caught my eye with her Dota 2 costumes which is really cool to see because Dota 2 is such a fantastic game but doesn’t get as much cosplay love as it deserves. Bindi Smalls does a lot of 3D printing for cosplay and I think it is such a cool way to bring new technologies into the craft. Her costumes are unreal and her props look super professional. 


Facebook
Instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment