Wednesday 30 April 2014

Cosplayer of the Week : Akahime

Akahime
This week's selected cosplayer and first ever on our blog is Akahime! She was our first choice because Akahime, to us, embodies what it means to be a cosplayer. She is not only a talented and crafted costumer but she is also a valuable asset to the cosplay community. She is welcoming, inspiring and supportive of other cosplayers and finds her biggest joy in celebrating her favourite characters with other fans. She also gives great advices to fellow new and veteran cosplayers through tutorials and progress photos. Truly a dynamite cosplayer and part of the cosplay community that you we love. 
(photo by Kuraiai)

What got you into cosplay?
I first ran across the first cosplay photo ever in my life via internet. I was very intrigued and impressed that my favorite characters came to life. And then soon after the first photo, I found cosplay.com. Everyone on there pretty much did it and if they could do it, why couldn’t I? It was too much fun to not get into!
What was your first cosplay?
Hyuuga Hinata Shippuden from Naruto. Hahaha!

How long have you been cosplaying?
I tried to get into cosplay back in 2006 when I first discovered cosplay. I actually made my first cosplay and did closet cosplays. BUT I didn’t have any money to go to cons and make friends, so I put a hiatus on that for a long while. Like, actually for 5 years. I started in 2011 again to give it a try with a closet cosplay, so it’s been three years. :) But I’ve been sewing my cosplays for two years seriously. :3
(photos by Kuraiai)

What is your favourite part of putting on your cosplay?
My favorite part happens at the end of completely putting on the cosplay —when I see all of my efforts come together successfully, it just makes me smile and all happy. Because I’m now the character who I enjoyed watching/reading.
What’s the best part of cosplay for you?
The best part of cosplay is definitely the socializing. I love making friends and finding friends with similar interests is hard outside of the con scene, anime clubs, etc. 
What is your favourite cosplay? (personal collection)
Oh boy! That’s a hard question! *a couple of hours later* I think overall, it has to be my Okuni from Samurai Warriors. I love being Okuni! She is one of the only two characters I really get into being in character. Her cosplay is also very comfortable to wear. It’s too much fun cosplaying Okuni!

Do you have a current cosplay or cosplayer favourite? (other people’s collections) 
I actually don’t. There’s just so much cosplayers with so much talent and they all inspire me to strive harder to go out of my comfort zone when it comes to making cosplay. 
My last words:
I went back into cosplaying again because I was at a point in my life where I was losing friends in college. I actually forgot about the con scene and cosplaying until my sister invited me to head to my first one ever back in 2010. Cosplay helped distracted me from the stress. Though I may not have friends at the time who liked anime, gaming, and/or cosplay, but I realized that there were passion and fun behind all of the people who cosplayed at the con. I wanted a share of the laughter and thus the next year, I decided to give it a try. Even when I didn’t gain friends until a couple of years later, I continued to cosplay because it was so much fun. I come to realize now that cosplaying with friends is fun, but cosplaying as your favorite characters, regardless of its obscurity or fame, was even better —it is the best part of cosplaying! :D
You can find a lot of my recent cosplays here: TUMBLR
You can find a lot of my old cosplays and some recent cosplays here (you’ll probably also run into cosplays I made for my siblings and friend): COSPLAY


0 comments:

Post a Comment