Tuesday 24 June 2014

Yuukas Anime North Round Up


Anime North has come and gone and I’ve only just been able to get over my post-con blues! Not only does Anime North mark the beginning of con season it also marks my one year anniversary of starting to cosplay! AN was my first con ever and was also where I made my very first cosplaying debut. I couldn’t have had a better first time experience and I had hoped that AN was all I remembered it to be. I shouldn’t have worried because AN2014 went above and beyond all expectations!  I shouldn’t have worried because AN2014 went above and beyond all expectations! For me AN has set the bar and I’ll forever be rating every other con against it. This is because it really is a unique con experience. For one it takes place outside as much as it does inside the convention centre, there are constantly people outside enjoying the nice weather and just hanging out with other con-goers. This is what gives AN such a sense of community, despite it being the largest anime con in Canada and taking place in a huge venue it manages to have a comfortable small con vibe to it.

This year I was determined to see more of the con than I did last year, which can be difficult because there is always so much going on! From 9 am to 2 am there are panels, photo shoots, concerts and raves and so much more to go to. Despite all of these of options there were only two events that we ended up attending: the masquerade and the One Piece photo shoot. It’s definitely not because we didn’t want to do more, it’s just honestly so much fun to wander around outside of the convention center to meet people and take photos. There were so many amazing cosplayers this year that I couldn’t stop snapping photos!
We tried to start our con experience early by going to the pre-registration early check-in on Thursday, but the line was so insanely long that we waited until Friday. This was just as well because lines were short Friday and we were able to fly through pre-registration and weapons check! Friday Grayson and I cosplayed best bros Legolas and Gimli and Shereoh debuted her Thousand Sunny cosplay. It seemed like our costumes were a hit! We didn’t do too much this day besides scope out Artist Alley and get our photos done at the always fantastic Cosplayers Canada booth.


Saturday was when we got our Strawhat crew together! This was a very relaxed day as One Piece cosplayers seem to be a dime a dozen and only a few people asked for our photos. We spent lots of money in the dealers room to the point that we had to drop off all of our merch in our car before heading to the One Piece photo shoot and masquerade. We met so many amazing One Piece cosplayers at the shoot-Everyone was super nice and looked fantastic! I was less enthused about the masquerade in all honestly. It felt drawn out to me, but the cosplayers competing more than made up for it-It was a great show of creativity and talent.



My biggest mistake was waiting to wear my warmest costume on the warmest day! On Sunday I wore my Fem!Winter Soldier costume and it was hot enough that the glue and foam on my prop am melted off…! Even though it was uncomfortably warm we still had a great time! 


We were able to meet up with SutekiGo who were wearing their beautiful Magi group cosplay  and the rest of the day was spent doing one last round of the dealers room and relaxing outside in the shade. 




This was an amazing weekend and I’m so thankful to everyone who both stopped us for photos and who stopped for me to gush over and snap pics of! Anime North 2015 can’t come soon enough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment